Frittata Del Giorno

If all else fails, guaranteed I can make a tasty frittata from what I have in the fridge and freezer. And if I'm really lucky, I may have stuff from the garden. Frittatas conjure up the image of rustic Italian cooking for me. They are naturally gluten free and can easily be made without any milk products, but a little cheese packs a lot of flavor in this simple egg dish.

A frittata is a slow cooked, open version of the French omelette. The closer relative is the
Tortilla Española, also known as the Spanish "omelette."

The easiest way to make a frittata is to first sweat your fillings (whatever you have: veggies, meats) with aromatics (onions, garlic, shallots, etc) in a saute/fry pan on medium heat with some olive oil. For this one, I used shallots, mushrooms, spinach, and peas. Whip up eggs in a mixing bowl with seasonings and herbs, and a splash of milk or water. For a small frittata using an 8" pan, I use 2-3 large eggs; 4-6 eggs for a larger 10-12" pan. If you are using a significant amount of cheese, that can be added to the egg mixture. Pour egg mixture into the pan evenly over the other goodies on medium heat. Allow to set slowly over several minutes on the stove top. At this time, add on whatever you would like on top: sliced tomatoes, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, etc. Once the sides have start to set, place the pan under a broiler. Watch it carefully. The frittata will puff up and turn a golden brown within a few minutes. Remove from broiler and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before slicing into wedges. Serve it with polenta, potatoes, your choice of meat. This is an easy and economical meal where rustic Italian cuisine will make your taste buds happy.

-Erin Swing
The Sensitive Epicure

Comments

I'm with you - a frittata is a go to food for me especially when I am tired. Yours looks great!
Anna said…
Why is it when I make a frittata it looks pale yellow and gluey, yet you dish up this golden, bubbling masterpiece? Envious, much. This just looks so good!