Perfect Cold Summer Beverage: Hard Cider Slushies

The weekend before last, my friends & I spent the evening at Goettafest in Covington's MainStrasse. Yes, that is in Northern Kentucky just right across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. What a great night, the weather proved to be temperate and some really fun friends met us there. There were all kind of food & beverage vendors there. Of course, most of it was not GF. But if you know anything about me, you know I love goetta and have learned that I do not have an adverse effect to it. Goetta has pinhead oats in it. I have had adverse effects from "GF oats". It's a Cincinnati miracle. Anyway, back to the festival. Looking at the beverage vendors, I saw the beer trucks longing for beer but knew it was not in my cards. Next to the beer truck was a frozen lemonade stand. All my friends were drinking beer, and a wonderful thought came to mind. "Beer slushies!" My friends agreed. We all agreed that is brilliant and wondered why there is no such product

What could better than a beer slushie? I know, a hard cider slushie! Something a touch sweeter and fresher tasting. With the alcohol content, it will not freeze too hard. There are so many varieties of cider on the market now. Just take a look at the wide array that Woodchuck offers, five different styles. My choice for this experiment was Woodchuck's 802 Dark and Dark brew. I figured the easiest way to make it is to poor a couple of chilled bottles into a frozen ice cream machine. Let is stir and freeze down until it looks like a slushie. Serve in large glasses with a straw and maybe a spoon. Here's a get menu for 4th of July: hard cider slushies, corn dogs, red quinoa tabbouleh, and PB&J cookies. Keep any leftovers in the freezer. That is, if there is anything left.

-Erin Swing
The Sensitive Epicure

Comments

I like the sound of that. I wonder if it would work for a gin and tonic slushie! Yummm...
Erin Swing said…
I imagine it would work well for a G&T. However, slight loss of the fizziness does occur upon freezing.