Easy, Yet Decadent Appetizer: Prosciutto Rolls

One of my favorite indulgent appetizers is a bacon wrapped date with a almond stuffed in it. A couple of my favorite friends would always have when entertaining for me & my husband. For me, it showed how much they loved me. Making such a thoughtful, gluten-free treat that is gourmet, adult, and complex in flavors. Last New Year's Year, this favorite played as an inspiration for a new creation: one that is easier to make (no cooking); more "healthy" with some green stuff in it; and more balanced complexity by addition of flavors and modifications. Prosciutto rolls: a little date, fresh goat cheese, almonds, arugula, with pepper and herbs all wrapped up in a thin slice of cured meat. Easy to eat with the fingers in two bites. Perfectly balanced harmony of umami, sweet, creamy, peppery bitterness, and freshness from the greens. Differentiation of textures, too with the tender cured meat, chewiness of the date, crunch from the almonds, and crispness of the arugula. When I went to Whole Foods to purchase some prosciutto, I could not immediately find it. So, I bought a package of smoked salmon, too. Turned out great! These rolls would work well with bresaola, too. Bresaola is one of my favorites: an Italian air-cured, thinly sliced beef. Reminds me of a more sophisticated chipped beef I grew up with. Can be found at Italian/specialty stores. For an extra fancy, impressive spread, you could make all three (prosciutto, salmon, bresaola) for a variety of flavors and colors. With these rolls, the sum is great than all of its parts. Therefore, the better quality ingredients will make for a more scrumptious roll. And the thinner the meat, the more you can see the arugula, which is a great look.

Now, ingredients needed and how to make it:
- Prosciutto, Smoked Salmon, &/or Bresaola
- Goat Cheese, Fresh (Chevre)
- Dates
- Arugula
- Almonds, roasted & salted (I used Marcona)
- Black Pepper, fresh ground
- Chives, Fresh, finely chopped (optional)

1. First, prep the dates by removing the pit and quartering lengthwise.
2. Lay out the piece of meat/salmon flat on a cutting board.
3. Season with fresh ground black pepper & chives (if using).
4. Place 1/4 date at one end, centered. On that pack on the goat cheese & almonds (2-3 matching length of date).
5. Compress lightly for best results when wrapping.
6. Lay out the arugula along the length of the slice of meat/salmon.
7. Fold the meat/salmon over the date/cheese/almonds. If there is significant extra width, just fold over the meat/salmon just like an egg/spring roll.
8. Continue rolling up, while making sure everything is snug in the roll but not too tight.
9. Arrange on a platter. Cover with plastic wrap. Serve chilled/room temperature. Enjoy!

This is a treat that everyone will enjoy. And added bonus: by using goat cheese, it is lactose free. Happy New Year! Feliz Año Nuevo! Feliç Any Nou! Bonne Annee!

-Erin Swing
The Sensitive Epicure

Comments

I made these last Saturday for company and they were delicious! I was the only gluten-free eater, but everyone loved them. I had much more of the inner ingredients left, so I bought more prosciutto this week and, quite honestly, I ate enough of these tasty appetizer rolls that I didn't need dinner this evening. I made with finely minced scallions instead of chives the 2nd time. I preferred the chives, but the scallion was good, too. Thanks for this recipe!
Vicky said…
this sounds absolutely delicious! I don't have any prosciutto or dates on hand, but as soon as I buy them this is the first thing I'll make!