Cherry Almond Clafouti (Gluten-Free)

The clafouti (cla-foo-tee) or clafoutis is an old dessert from the Limoges region of France which can be traced back to the 19th century. I cannot tell you how long it has been since I have had intention to make a clafouti. Finally, I made it and it was delicious. Thanks to the Summer Fest started on the Food Network Blog, I was challenged to make something to showcase fresh cherries. Clafouti was the first thing to enter my mind. The clafouti is somewhere between a cake and a custard. Think of a bread pudding with fresh cherries in place of the bread. I thought it would be perfect with almond flour as a natural pairing with cherries. The French believe that leaving the pits in add a more intense cherry flavor. I prefer to pit mine beforehand, but a couple usually gets past me. Since this is such a rustic recipe, and not wanting to use the oven with the scorching heat, I wanted to bake this on the grill using a cast iron skillet. Of course, it can be baked in the oven, too. I just love how simple this is to make.

Ingredients: 
  • about 600 grams fresh cherries, stemmed and pitted
  • 4 large (200 grams) eggs, room temperature
  • 200 grams (7 ounces) milk, room temperature
  • 125 grams (1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons) sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 80 grams (1/2 cup packed) blanched almond flour
  • 30 grams (1/4 cup) arrowroot starch or cornstarch
  • butter or non-stick spray for greasing pan
  • powdered sugar for dusting
Directions:
Preheat grill to 350-375F or oven to 350F.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until mixed. While whisking, add in the milk, followed by the sugar, vanilla, salt, almond flour, and starch. Mix until uniform.

Grease a 10” cast iron skillet (or cake/casserole pan). Put the cherries in the bottom. Top with the batter. Place on grill and cover, allow to cook for about 20-30 minutes until the top is golden brown. Alternatively, cook in oven uncovered for 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Serve while still warm, slicing in pieces like a pie. Garnish with a light dusting of powdered sugar.


This is part of Food Network's Summer Fest. Check out The FN Dish. The seasonal produce we're focusing on here are cherries! Here are other delicious features on cherries:

What’s Gaby Cooking: Cherry Chocolate Truffle Ice Cream
Big Girls Small Kitchen: Cherry Cornmeal Cake
Cooking With Elise: Roasted Cherries with Lavender and Almond Panna Cotta
Daydreamer Desserts: Cherry Crumble Cake
Ingredient Challenge Monday: Black Forest Ice Cream Done Two Ways
Spices and Aroma: Dilkush with Cherries
And Love It Too: Cherry-Pecan Chicken Salad
FN Dish: The Ultimate Cherry Pie
Daily*Dishin: Simple French Cherry Clafouti
Glory Foods: Collard Greens and Cherry Reduction
Chez Us: Gluten-Free Cherry Clafoutis
Food for 7 Stages of Life: South Indian Hot and Sour Soup
Virtually Homemade: Dark Chocolate Cherry Kuchen
In Jennie’s Kitchen: Cherry Conserves
Cooking Channel: Very Cherry Sangria
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Cherry Balsamic Vinegar
Zaika Zabardast: Balsamic Cherry and Peach Crisp
Mooshu Jenne: Rainier Cherry Panna Cotta
Food2: A Very Cherry Recipe Round-Up
Virtually Vegan Mamma: Fresh Cherry and Almond Scones
CIA Dropout: Italian Cherry Cake
Sweet Life Bake: Honey-Tequila Pickled Cherries
Cooking With Books: Cherry Cooler
Recipe Girl: Cherry Limeade Pound Cake

-Erin Swing
The Sensitive Epicure

Comments

Elise Johnson said…
Looks amazing! Can't wait to try!
Carol said…
Delish!!! Loved the bit of history along with the recipe. It's on the top of my to try list.
Nice to see this. I made a cherry clafouti last night using Bob's Gluten-Free all-purpose flour, which has chickpea flour, sorghum flour and a few other things. Before I cooked it I was alarmed at the beany taste of the mix, but it seemed to turn out fine. Still, I want to try it with the almond flour next. I'm not wild about using the starch (the arrowroot or cornstarch, I would probably use tapioca starch since I have that and it might be slightly less processed than cornstarch). I wonder how it would turn out with just the almond flour? Still have lots of cherries to use up, will experiment....
Anonymous said…
This looks delicious and I love cherries and I am gluten free - will try it this week.
vanessa said…
I made this tonight but only had half the cherries (and added some fresh figs to the mix. It was DELICIOUS! I've only recently had to shift my diet to GF and before then made clafouti with regular flour several times every summer. The almond flour works perfectly- couldn't tell it was GF. Next time I may try with almond milk. Thanks for a wonderful recipe :)