Cilantro Rice with Corn, Black Beans, and Avocados


Over the years, I have taught myself how to like cilantro. I remember the first time I had it; it tasted like soap to me. Slowly, I started introducing it into my meals at restaurants. My favorite is the cilantro rice at Chipotle. I thought corn would compliment the cilantro rice well and add in some black beans and avocado to make it a complete meal (and a complete protein). Squeeze some lime on top to brighten it up. This is my way to feature fresh summer corn.

Ingredients:
1 cup long grain rice
1 1/2 cups of chicken broth (or veggie or water)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 ears of corn
3-4 stalks green onions, chopped
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1/2 bunch of cilantro, stemmed and chopped fine
Adobo seasoning (optional), salt and pepper to taste
1 avocado, chopped medium
1-2 limes cut into wedges

Directions:
Cook rice according to package instructions in broth. Fluff and put aside uncovered.

In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cut the corn off the cobs, as much as you can. Add it to the sauce pan and stir occasionally. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add in the chopped green onions, stir, and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the beans, stir, cook for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add in the cooked rice and toss completely. Add in the chopped cilantro, adobo seasoning, salt, pepper and thoroughly mix. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly. Carefully fold in the avocado. Serve with lime wedges and give a squeeze to wake it up. Makes about 4-servings.

-Erin Swing
The Sensitive Epicure

This is part of Food Network's Summer Fest. Check out The FN Dish. The summer produce we're focusing on here is corn. On twitter, we're tagging #SummerFest. Here are other delicious corn recipes to try out:



Comments

Jeanette said…
Love this one bowl meal - perfect for a no-fuss summertime dinner.