Simply Sauteed Beets


Beets, really? Food Network's Fall Fest ends with a beet recipe. More like a challenge to me. As a young teenager, my father would attempt to feed me beets. Those gross canned pickled beets that stunk. I would refuse. My dad would tempt me by saying, "Beets will make your boobs big." Blah. He never convinced me to eat them. And I developed into a well-endowed lady regardless of not eating my beets.

Foodies I trust praise beets. They must know something. Guess it resides in how beets are prepared. While scouting out the best produce at the farmer's market by the municipal airport, I found a small bumper supply of fresh beets. Nothing much to look at from the exterior: brown, shriveled, not uniform, with wiry roots. The farmer was tending to another customer. The conversation extended into small talk. That's when I asked about the beets, seeing that he purchased the giant basket of them. The both raved about how sweet and tasty the fresh beets are, telling me the best way to prepare them is simply - to bring out the natural sweetness. Boil until fork tender, then saute with butter and salt. Then my friend came for a visit who's been living in Budapest, Hungary. She saw the beets and told me I should steam the beets to keep as much color and nutrients as possible. Apparently in Budapest, beets are bountiful. These beets, I have to admit, I liked. They had a balance of delicate sweetness and earthiness. And the color. Just like gems.

Ingredients:
1 basket fresh beets, scrubbed
2 tablespoons butter (I used goat butter)
1 teaspoon salt (I used gray salt)

Directions:
Cut the tops and bottoms off of the beets. Place in a steaming apparatus of what you have. Cover and steam until fork tender, about 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool enough to handle. Using a spoon, carefully remove the skin. Cut into even wedges.

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add in the butter, the beets, and the salt. Stir/toss occasionally for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

-Erin Swing
The Sensitive Epicure

This is part of Food Network's Fall Fest, highlighting the produce that is in season. Check out The FN Dish. The seasonal produce we are focusing on beets. Come over to Twitter where we are discussing it on #cookingwith and #fallfest. Here are other delicious features on beets :

Comments