Pre-Spring Mushroom Risotto with Shrimp
1 cup Arborio rice
3 - 3.5 cups chicken broth
2 + 2 tbs olive oil
1 shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms
3 shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
5 button mushrooms, sliced thin
16 medium shrimp
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
salt & pepper (pref. white) to taste
fresh thyme & parsley to taste
- Heat the chicken broth with the dried porcini mushrooms (can be done in microwave or stovetop). Keep it hot until completely used.
- Using a 3-4 quart saucepan, warm 2 tbs oil over medium heat and saute the shallots and garlic until aromatic and transparent (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the rice and stir until this is aromatic, too (about 2-3 minutes).
- Slowly add in 1/2 cup of broth, and stir a couple of times.
- Let cook until almost absorbed, and repeat step 4. This will be repeated using only 1/2 cup additions until desired consistency and texture of rice is achieved. This can take 30 minutes total with some stirring. Do the following steps while it is cooking. Add in seasonings about half way & taste at end. Add more as needed.
- Meanwhile - In a small skillet, warm 2 tbs oil over medium heat and add in the fresh mushrooms and saute occasionally until cooked (about 15 minutes). Added mushrooms into rice when cooked.
- Add in the peas into the rice.
- Meanwhile - Using the small skillet, saute the shrimp until just pink. Add into rice very last. That is when you have acheived your desired consistency of the rice (amount of liquid) and the tenderness should be a tender al dente.
The Sensitive Epicure