Perfecting European Artisan Bread - Gluten Free

I know, I know. It has been a while since I have posted something. I have been working hard for all of us gluten free-ers in the name of delicious living gluten free. Over the past six weeks I have done some intensive gluten free research. As you probably know, I am in the middle of a three month internship at Alicia Fundacio outside of Barcelona. For the first month I focused on understanding GF materials and correlating it with the sensory profile. The past two weeks have proved to be extremely challenging and rewarding in making proper bread that Europeans would be proud of: hard, crusty exterior and tender, chewy interior with appealing taste and texture. If the dough has to proof/rise in a bread pan, it is unacceptable to my Spanish colleagues. I am grateful for their uncompromising standards that match mine in achieving the best gluten free bread, regardless of the fact that it is gluten free. Hopefully, we will have optimized our GF European artisan bread over the next couple of weeks. Next up: gluten free puff pastry. Who's up for the challenge of making GF puff pastry from scratch at home with the perfect, guaranteed recipe?

-Erin Swing
The Sensitive Epicure

Comments

Jenn said…
wow, those look like 2 great loaves there - I wonder what the perfected version will be like!!!
I am totally up for making GF puff pastry from scratch when you get a perfect recipe!
Beautiful work!
Anonymous said…
I'm am just as driven as you are Erin about trying out different GF flours to get the best taste and texture. I made choux pastry gluten free - would love to see your recipe - the result was pretty impressive from the outside although on the inside they were a bit moist. I'm very excited to see a puff pastry recipe!!!! Please post one!! I have previously tried but failed!
Kate
Erin Swing said…
Kate - Maybe you should try baking your choux paste longer. Make sure the sides are golden brown before removing from oven. Another sign that they need more time in the oven - they deflate upon cooling.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the tip, I think my oven may be too hot? They cook fairly quickly and are brown on the outside. I pierce the bottom and saw that one recipe suggests you leave them in with the oven turned off to "dry" them out. Thought I'd try that.
Good luck with the bread it looks truly fantastic - I hope it tastes as good as it looks! I live in Australia and health food shops here have just started to import European GF bread - apparently very good although i've not tried it yet (extremely expensive!).
Kate
Anonymous said…
I do keep checking back even though I am subscribed - bread is not something I want to miss out on!
Jeff said…
You are the Mad Scientist of starch. Those loaves look amazing regardless of their contents and I have a profound respect for how hard you're working to perfect your craft. Keep the recipes coming!
FrèreAndré said…
any progress on the breads? I am looking forward to read your recipe and try it too.... and about the puff pastry, i hope you meant pâte feuilletée and yes it is challenging even the real ones! Keep us posted.
I am also investigating about making homemade corn pasta, any suggestions?
Anonymous said…
Please hurry with the perfect GF European Artisan bread recipe! I miss it so. Plus, although you are in Spain, and not Germany, Austria, or France, keep some little gray cells free for an equally perfect rye bread recipe. Any combination of GF flours that would duplicate the taste of rye?