Oatmeal Buckwheat Pancakes with Bananas and Pecans: Part of the Gluten-Free Ratio Rally



Amazing GF Ratio Rally logo by Anile Prakash

I am fortunate to be part of the "Gluten-Free Ratio Rally," started and hosted by the Gluten-Free Girl, Shauna Ahern. Other incredible gluten-free bloggers and cookbook authors are also part of this team, see list below. Our monthly mission is to take on a standard baking recipe and put our personal gluten-free spin on it. This is based on the Michael Rulhman's Ratio: The Simple Codes Behind the Craft of Everyday Cooking. To me, as a chemist, makes total sense and is the only logical way to convert a baking recipe to the best gluten-free iteration possible. This month it is pancakes. Our reference ratio for pancakes is 4:4:2:1 / flour:liquid:eggs:fat. The ratios are in weight, which suit gluten-free baking the best since the densities of different flours can vary so much. I prefer grams. I do list US volumetric measurements, and used Bob's Red Mill flours.

Recently, I tried certified gluten-free without any reaction. I had forgotten how yummy and wholesome oats can be. Somehow, I wanted to include them into these pancakes. Buckwheat tends to be another wholesome, rich favorite grain of mine. Put them together with a neutral whole grain flour like brown rice. And the outcome is a very wholesome pancake. How can I make this better? Bananas and pecans with a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg.


Ingredients:

  • 100 g (1 cup) GF quick cooking oats
  • 100 g (2/3 cup) brown rice flour
  • 40 g (1/4 cup) buckwheat flour
  • 35 g (3 tablespoons) sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 15 g (1 tablespoon) baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 190 g (3/4 cup) milk
  • 60 g (1/2 stick) butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 banana, diced fine
  • 1/2 cup pecan pieces


Directions

Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature. Using a small food processor, grind together the oats with the granulated sugar until fine. Put into large mixing bowl. Scale/measure all the other dry ingredients and add into large mixing bowl. Mix well with a large spoon/spatula. In a large pouring cup or medium bowl, heat the milk with the butter in the microwave for 1 minute until the butter is liquid. Stir and add in the vanilla, followed by the eggs. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Add in the bananas and pecans. Mix until just combined.

Using a ladle or scooper, measure portions of batter onto a greased preheated griddle or large fry pan (medium heat/375F), allowing space for spreading and flipping. Fry the pancakes until the tops are full of bubbles and begin to look dry, and the bottoms are golden brown. Turn and brown the other side. Can hold in a warm oven (200F) until the whole batch is cooked.

Serve hot, accompanied by butter, maple syrup, fresh berries, and bacon (best from your local butcher.) Um, bacon makes everything better.


Details

-Erin Swing
The Sensitive Epicure

Comments

Jenn said…
Awesome pancakes Erin!! Thanks for lending all of your great knowledge this past month - and I agree, ratios are the perfect mindset for chemists.
Tara Barker said…
I'm so glad you can eat gf oats now, Erin! It really is great to add them back to our diet. They are so great in combination with other gf grains.

Your pancakes look wonderful!
Karen said…
Isn't it wonderful to have oats again. We buy a big bag each month and make fantastic granola that I love served with greek style honey yogurt. I will have to try your pancake recipe.
Irvin said…
Now you know my partner AJ is a chemistry professor as well right? He really wanted to buy me the Ratio book, thinking it was the perfect book for him to get me for Christmas, but someone else got it for me first!

That said, you pancakes sounds fantastic and super healthy. I love the oats and buckwheat and just a touch of warm cinnamon and nutmeg, with bananas and pecans. Perfect for a cold winter morning!
Lauren said…
Erin, these are gorgeous! I've loved getting to know you a bit more and see you in your element during this challenge, with all of the chemistry. So glad that you're a part of it! Isn't it wonderful that oats can be gluten-free? They are one of my staple breakfasts these days, but I have yet to try them in pancakes. I think I just might have to do that!