Strawberries with White Balsamic Vinegar Caramel, Orange Zest, and Black Pepper


While I was living in Barcelona, just about every Saturday I would eat at Inopia. A tapas bar run by Albert Adria that closed shortly after I moved from Spain. My favorite dessert there were these strawberries that seemed so simple, yet packed a flavor punch. Super ripe strawberries with a white wine vinegar caramel and topped with orange zest and cracked black pepper. Here I tried to duplicate it as I remember it. Remember, the fewer the ingredients, requiring the best quality possible for every single ingredient. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 pint of strawberries
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar of your choice (I used white balsamic vinegar)
  • 2 tablespoons butter (I used goat butter)
  • zest of half an orange
  • fresh ground black pepper
Directions:
Wash and dry the strawberries. Core and quarter them.

In a heavy walled, small sauce pan combine the water and sugar over medium heat. Boil without stirring until an amber color, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Slowly add in the vinegar with vigorous stirring - caution, it will boil violently. Then add in the butter. Stir until uniform.

Drizzle the caramel over the strawberries. Zest the orange over the strawberries, and top with fresh ground black pepper. Serve and eat immediately. Serves about 4.

-Erin Swing
The Sensitive Epicure

This is part of Food Network's Summer Fest. Check out The FN Dish. The summer product we're focusing on here are berries. On twitter, we're tagging #SummerFest. Here are other berry delicious recipes to try out:

Comments

Nicole said…
I've never tried vinegar caramel before, but the combination of flavors in this sounds wonderful!