Pureed Broccoli with Garlic

I heard that broccoli will replace kale and Brussels sprouts as the hot vegetable of choice among healthy hipsters.  Admitting, I myself have not had broccoli for quite some time.... So I was thankful that broccoli is the focused produce this week.  The first thing that came to my mind was pureed broccoli.  It's super easy, fast, comforting, great color, and flavorful.  I used a bag of broccoli florets.  However, a head of broccoli would even work better, and including the peeled stems - such great flavor there.  I microwaved the broccoli with a few skinned cloves of garlic.  Then pureed it in a food processor with butter (olive oil would work too), salt, and pepper.  Microwaving keeps all of the nutrients intact without diluting them as cooking it in water would. No extra liquid is needed.  There is a small amount of liquid after cooking the broccoli in the microwave, which turned out to be the perfect amount needed for pureeing to the perfect consistency.  I tried adding half and half, but I found it muddled the clean broccoli and garlic flavor.  You know my motto, keep it simple and flavorful.

Pureed Broccoli with Garlic
Ingredients:
  • fresh broccoli, 12 oz florets or 1 head of broccoli including the peeled stems
  • garlic, 3 cloves, skinned
  • butter or olive oil, 2 tablespoons
  • salt and white pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. Place the chopped up broccoli and garlic cloves in a large microwave safe bowl, and cover.  Microwave on full power from 4 to 6 minutes until steamed and bright green.
  2. Dump entire contents into a processor.  Run and add in the butter/olive oil and salt and pepper.  Wipe down sides and taste for seasoning.  Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
This is a great side to compliment any meal.  I recommend it with roasted root vegetables of your choice or even a baked potato or potatoes Anna.

-Erin Swing
The Sensitive Epicure

This is part of Food Network's Fall Fest. Check out The FN Dish.  This week we're focusing on broccoli.  On twitter, we're tagging #FallFest.  Here are other awesome chopping broccoli recipes to try out:   

Comments

Unknown said…
When I had oral surgery, I used to make something similar but added chicken too. It looked like baby food but tasted good.