The way I usually determine what recipe I'm going to develop is based on what I have on hand. When I think of a well executed "gourmet" grilled cheese, I consider a complexity in textures and a simplicity in the melding of flavors. Given these considerations I came up with cave aged Vermont cheddar cheese, pink lady apple, walnuts, and fresh thyme. Really good, fresh, comforting... This is one of my favorite flavor combinations. I built the layers within the sandwich, and found that after grilling it on the stove top, placing it in a moderate oven for about 10 minutes melted it thoroughly and brought it all together. In practical terms: I could squash it all together to eat it. Scale this recipe accordingly to how many sandwiches you are going to make.
Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Apple, Walnuts, and Thyme (GF)
- Udi's Whole Grain Gluten-Free Bread (or any of your favorite sandwich bread)
- Cheddar cheese of your choice, cut into thin slices (I used aged Vermont cheddar)
- Apple, cored and sliced into thin slices (leave the skin on)
- Walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Thyme, fresh leaves with stems removed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place a pat of butter on 1 side of a slice of bread. Place buttered side down in an oven safe skillet over low heat. From there carefully build the sandwich: a layer of cheese, a layer of sliced apples, a sprinkling of chopped walnuts, and thyme. I did two layer of apples, walnuts, and thyme, finishing with a layer of cheese so it all melts together and adheres the bread. Finish with the other slice of bread and a pat of butter on top. After about 3-5 minutes, carefully flip over the sandwich(es). Lightly brown the other side.
- Place skillet with sandwich(es) in heated oven for about 10 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and squash with the backside of a spatula. Transfer to a cutting board. Allow to cool/set up for a couple of minutes before cutting. Serve and eat immediately.
The Sensitive Epicure
This is part of Food Network's Comfort Food Feast. Check out The FN Dish. This week we're focusing on comforting grilled cheese sandwiches. On twitter, we're tagging #ComfortFoodFeast. Here are other amazing grilled cheese sandwiches to get your comforting creative juices going:
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Lighted Up Croque Monsieur Grilled Cheese
Blue Apron Blog: The Tastiest Grilled Cheese Fillings
Weelicious: Grilled Cheese and Pickle Panini
Devour: Kelsey's Decadent Grilled Cheese
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Inside Out Grilled Strawberry and Cheese Sandwiches
Daily*Dishin: Grilled Pimento Cheese with Instant Pickles
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Pork Stew in Port Wine Sauce with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Red or Green: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Three Pepper Cheese, Grilled Onions and Pickled Jalapenos
Dishing With Divya: Egg and Mushroom Cheese Sandwich
Domesticate Me: Barbecue Chicken Grilled Cheese
Taste With The Eyes: Bulgogi Panino with Kimchi, Cheddar and Ssamjang Mayo
Virtually Homemade: Creamy Roasted Tomato and Basil Grilled Cheese with Bacon
The Sensitive Epicure: Grilled Cheddar Cheese Sandwich with Apple, Walnuts and Thyme (Gluten-Free)
FN Dish: 10 Grown-Up Grilled Cheeses